- A dog's heart beats 70 to 120 times a minute... a human heart beats 70 to 80 times a minute.
- The largest breed of dog is the Irish Wolfhound. The Chihuahua is the smallest, while breeds like the St. Bernard and Mastiff are among the heaviest.
- Dogs are not born knowing the words "Sit", "Down", "Stand".
PS from ADS: But eventually after some training, we came to understands our human words and body sign...
- Dogs and men are the only animals with prostate glands.
- There are about 700 types of pure breed dogs.
PS from ADS: wow, what an amount!
- Dachshunds were bred to fight badgers in their dens.
- The most intelligent dogs are said to be Border Collies, Poodles and Golden Retrievers.
- A Bloodhound can identify several smells simultaneously.
- Dalmatian puppies are usually pure white when born.
- The smallest dog in history was a tiny Yorkie from Blackburn, England. At two years of age and fully grown, this little canine was an amazing 6.35cm tall by 9.5cm long, and weighed only 113grams!
- Most domestic dogs are able to reach speeds of 30.5kms per hour, when running flat out. The Greyhound, the king of canine speedsters, is capable of reaching speeds of up to 64kms per hour!
- The oldest dog on record was an Australian cattle-dog named Bluey. He was put to sleep at the ripe old age of 29 years and five months!
- All dogs, from the German Shepherd to the tiny Poodle, are technically of the same species and can breed together and produce fertile offspring.
- The world's heaviest (and longest) dog ever recorded was an Old English Mastiff named Zorba. In 1989, Zorba weighed about 155kg and was 3.1m long from nose to tail!
- A survey revealed that at least 63 per cent of dog owners admitted to kissing their dogs. Of these, 45 per cent kissed them on the nose, 19 per cent on the neck, 7 per cent on the back, 5 per cent on the stomach and 2 per cent on the legs.
PS from ADS: our jie jies and gor gor kissed us a lot too! almost all over our body, mostly on our muzzle area! and we kiss them back too!
- The tallest dog on record was named Shamgret Danzas. He was 1.06m tall, at the shoulder, and weighed 108kg.
- A frightened dog puts its tail between its legs to cover the scent glands in the anal area. Since the anal glands carry personal scents that identify individual dogs, this behaviour is the canine equivalent of insecure humans hiding their faces.
- Dogs can very easily regurgitate. In fact, after eating, wolves can travel significant distances back to their dens and regurgitate their food at will to feed their pups!
- Surveys show that 62 percent of dog owners admit their dog owns a jumper, wintercoat or raincoat.
- Dogs can see colour but it is not as vivid as the colour humans see. Dog colour is similar to what we see at twilight.Research
PS from ADS: see! our world ain't total black and white, we see COLORS!
- The average city dog lives three years longer than the average country dog!
- Chocolate kills dogs! Chocolate affects a dog's heart and nervous system; a few ounces are enough to kill a small dog.
PS from ADS: oh...i see.. no wonder jie jies, gor gor they don't feed us chocolate... it's for our own good...